Download the latest system software update for your PlayStation 4 system.
An update to the PlayStation 4 system software was released on 30 April 2014. If you update your PS4 system, the system software version will be 1.70.
A system software update is required to use PlayStation Network features, as well as some of those on your system. By updating the system software of your PS4 system, you can enjoy the following features along with enhanced security. We recommend always updating to the latest version.
Main features in system software update version 1.70
- [SHAREfactory] has been added to the content area. You can use it to easily edit and customise video clips that are saved on your PS4 system.
- You can now copy video clips and screenshots that are saved on the PS4 system to a USB storage device.
- [Best HD] has been added as a supported resolution for broadcasts using Ustream or Twitch.
- You can now save your broadcasts to online services. For details, refer to the website for a particular online service.
- You can now adjust the brightness of the light bar on the DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller. [Brightness of DUALSHOCK 4 Light Bar] has been added under [Settings] > [Devices] > [Controllers].
- [Enable HDCP] has been added under [Settings] > [System].
Other new or revised features in version 1.70
- You can now select the length of video clips that will be saved. The length can be 1, 3, 5, 10, or 15 minutes. This setting is located under [Share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [Length of Video Clip].
- [Capture Gallery] has been added to the content area. You can use it to view screenshots and video clips that you saved.
- Screenshots and video clips will not be saved when you select [Broadcast Gameplay] in the menu for the Share feature. To save screenshots, select [Upload Screenshot] or press the Triangle button. To save video clips, select [Upload Video Clip] or press the Square button.
- You can now set the audience on Facebook for sharing your screenshots and video clips.
- [Share Settings] > [Video Clip Settings] > [Indicate Blocked Scenes for Video Recording] is now turned on by default.
- The screen layout for when you are broadcasting has been improved.
- [Stop Broadcasting] is now under [Broadcast Settings].
- [Language], [Blu-ray Disc Data Management] and [Allow Internet Connection] have been added under [Video Playback Settings].
- [Login Settings] and [Initialization] > [Delete User] are now under the newly added [Users].
- You can now set a screensaver. [Start Screensaver] has been added under [Sound and Screen].
- You can now share your real name and profile picture with the close PSN friends of your own close PSN friends. Your close friends are friends who have accepted your real name requests, or friends whose real name requests you have accepted. This setting is located under [PSN] > [Privacy Settings] > [Real Name and Profile Picture].
- [From PlayStation] has been added under [Notifications]. You will receive notifications and other information from PSN.
- Services under [TV & Video] can now be started with voice recognition. Also, the following keywords have been added to the voice recognition feature: "Save video clip" and "Start video clip".
- You can now sort trophies by their rarity level.
- [Noise Reduction] has been added as an option that is available during video playback.
- You can now use the PlayStation App to set your profile picture. To use this feature, you must update the PlayStation App to version 1.70 or later.
- You can now use the touch pad to operate the software keyboard.
- You can now submit a grief report about an inappropriate profile picture or broadcast.
- Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS4 system software.
- Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS4 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS4 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS4 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.
Download the latest system software update here and here.
Ustream is a trademark or registered trademark of Ustream, Inc.
Twitch is a trademark or registered trademark of Twitch.
Facebook is a service that helps you connect and share with the people in your life. Facebook is a trademark of Facebook, Inc.
"Blu-ray Disc" and "Blu-ray" are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association.